Driver training curriculum
Important elements of training that make a difference
The driver training curriculum covers around 40 lessons, varying from 5 to 25 minutes each. The most important characteristics of the curriculum:
- Automation training of a number of important driving tasks: driving off (control of clutch to prevent stalling of the engine), steering, gear changing, lane changing (especially scanning techniques and use of indicator), intersection right turn, left turn and going straight ahead (especially scanning techniques, priority rules, use of indicator, speed control and gear changing), and roundabout first, second and third exit.
- During the automation training, a scientifically validated technique is used to measure workload and task automation. This enables the monitoring of progress of task automation (using an automation index) in the student assessment system.
- Virtual Instructor (VI) gives advanced feedback on driver errors and observes behaviour of the student continuously.
- Student Assessment System (SAS) generates detailed reports of student progress.
- Strength/Weakness analysis provides quick overview of strong points and weak points of skill development.
- Very complete training program for driver training.
- Didactics promotes automation of driver skills.
- Training emphasizes safe driving and eco-driving.
- Highly configurable and easy to use user interface.
Overview of lessons
A. Module drive off
- ( I-Start Stop ) – Instruction: start engine, drive off, stop the car, turn of engine
- ( AUTOM_Drive off ) – Automation: drive off
B. Module steering
- ( I-Steering 1 ) – Instruction: steering: pass-on and cross-over methods
- ( P-Steering 2 ) – Practice: steering at higher speed
- ( AUTOM_Steering ) – Automation: steering
C. Module change gear
- ( I-Change Gear ) – Instruction: change gear manually
- ( AUTOM_Change Gear ) – Automation: change gear
D. Module change lanes
- ( I-Change Lanes ) – Instruction: change lanes
- ( I-Overtaking ) – Instruction: passing and overtaking
- ( AUTOM)_Change Lanes ) – Automation: change lanes
- ( P-Control ) – Integration: skills to control the vehicle
A. Module intersections
- ( I-Observation ) – Instruction: visual scanning and vehicle control (indicator, gear, speed) when approaching an intersection and turning left, right or going straight ahead
- ( I-Priority ) – Instruction: Priority rules
- ( AUTOM_Scan Straight ) – Automation: straight ahead at intersections
- ( AUTOM_Scan Right ) – Automation: turn right at intersections
- ( AUTOM_Scan Left ) – Automation: turn left at intersections
B. Module roundabouts
- ( I-Roundabout 1 ) – Instruction: approaching and driving on small roundabouts
- ( P-Roundabout 1 ) – Practice: approaching and driving on small roundabouts
- ( I-Roundabout 2 ) – Instruction: approaching and driving on large roundabouts
- ( P-Roundabout 2 ) – Practice: approaching and driving on large roundabouts
- ( AUTOM_Round First ) – Automation: roundabout first exit
- ( AUTOM_Round Second ) – Automation: roundabout second exit
- ( AUTOM_Round Third ) – Automation: roundabout third exit
- ( P-Traffic 1 ) – Practice: traffic interactions in rural areas
- ( P-Traffic 2 ) – Practice: traffic interactions in practice area
- ( P-Traffic 3 ) – Practice: traffic interactions in urban areas with pedestrians
- ( P-Carriageways ) – Practice: single and dual carriageways
- ( I-Merging ) – Instruction: filtering in and out on highways
- ( P-Highway 1 ) – Practice: driving on a highway, filtering in and out
- ( P-Highway 2 ) – Practice: driving on a highway, merging traffic
- ( P-Highway 3 ) – Practice: driving on a highway, filtering in in a traffic jam
- ( P-Highway 4 ) – Practice: prolonged driving on a highway
- ( P-Fog 1 ) – Practice: fog outside build-up area
- ( P-Fog 2 ) – Practice: fog on highway
- ( P-Rain ) – Practice: driving while it is raining
- ( P-Snow 1 ) – Practice: slippery road
- ( P-Snow 2 ) – Practice: driving while it is snowing, adverse weather, reduced visibility and slippery road
- ( P-Night 1 ) – Practice: night driving 1, no traffic
- ( P-Night 2 ) – Practice: night driving 2, rural area
- ( P-Night 3 ) – Practice: night driving 3, Highway